Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Butterflies are FREE!!! (And the necklace appeared!)

This blog goes out to Susan Ceglio, a facebook friend I hope to hug enthusiastically one day!  When she commented on my first blog she "gently" said, "No pressure, but I hope there will be more."  This just shows a bit of the essence of the kind of person I perceive her to be - sweet, encouraging, creative and oh so full of love and life.  I assured her many more blog posts were coming!  And they are......however the little butterfly thoughts and stories have been flying quickly by before I can purposely capture them in my net, share them, and release!  THE BUTTERFLIES ARE FREE!!   I know Elton John says the butterflies can fly away - but I say NO, not yet!  (Are you tracking with me here, because if so I am impressed!)

So, tonight, I have 75 minutes to post so that I will at least have had 1 post a month since I began!  Hahaha!  I predict August will be a prolific blog month.

Since my butterflies are free and it's dark outside I can't find them right now.  So, let me be purposeful.  I will capture a meandering thought.        Hmmmmmmm      Waiting.        Waiting.    Praying now....should have done that first.

Got it!!  Stories are the best, don't you think?  Love to hear them, love to tell them.  Let me tell you a true story from when I was a little girl. There's an angel in this story.  You'll like it.

It was Christmas Eve and I was about 11 years old.  We were raised in a great Catholic home and it was our tradition to open gifts on Christmas Eve and then go to midnight mass.  It was really hard to stay awake after all of the excitement, but I loved going.  It was a magical thing to wear a beautiful, wintry Christmas dress, gloves, a lacy veil, and sometimes to carry a velvety little purse.  We would gather with so many people we would all be squished in together.  We lit candles and sang meaningful and long Christmas songs about baby Jesus and Wise Men and JOY to the World!  When the people talked and we sat, my brother and I would lean up tight against my Mommy.  She would put her arms around us, rub our backs and kiss our heads.  We glowed in her love.  We tried not to fall asleep.  After mass we would go close to the manger scene and look in awe as the characters represented there came to life in my imagination.  We took pictures in front of it every year.

There was something different about this year.  It was my own sad little secret that no one knew except God.  I had a silver necklace with a tiny little silver cross on it.  There was a teeny-tiny diamond in the middle of the cross and I thought it was the most treasured and beautiful thing I had ever seen. It had been a gift from my parents and I only wore that necklace on very special days.  I kept it on my dresser in a round, ornate little jewelry box with a red velvet lining.  It was the only thing I put in there.  That night, before church, I opened my box and the necklace was gone!  I looked everywhere for it and was sure I had misplaced it or lost it somehow.  I didn't tell anyone because I was afraid I might get in trouble for losing it, and I was so sad I didn't really want to talk about it.

I remember standing at my french provincial dresser, near my pink canopied bed, just looking in the empty box and simply asking God to please bring my necklace back to me.  My parents called, and it was time to go.  We got home sooooo late for such a little girl.  Daddy offered to make us breakfast but we wanted SLEEP!  I walked into my room to put my silky Christmas P.J.s on and there on my dresser was my cross necklace!! It was perfectly arranged, just waiting for me to gently pick it up and hug it to my neck!  I was overjoyed!  Since I HAD it I asked Mom and Dad if they had put it there - they said no. I asked my little brother Jay and he looked at me as if I was crazy to think HE would touch my girly necklace!  Remember, I hadn't told anyone - EXCEPT GOD - about my loss.  

Now you may think this a simple story, with a logical explanation, but I beg to differ.  I remember the night as if it were last night.  I remember the prayer, the deep sadness, the heart cry.  When I asked God to bring my necklace back I thought I would find it later in my room somewhere.  When I walked into my room that night I KNEW that I KNEW that I KNEW that an angel had delivered my treasure and placed it lovingly there for me to find.  Even at that early age I recognized the presence of God and His angels.  My family didn't really know that - it was pretty private.  I didn't even fully understand it.  I do now, and how deeply grateful I am to have had a few angelic experiences in my lifetime.  I know there will be many more.  The next time we talk about angels I'll tell you the first time I saw my guardian angel as she cared for me in the night hours.

God cares about the little things.  He always has, and He always will.  What little thing do you want to ask Him for tonight?  I know He'll answer.

3 comments:

  1. I always knew butterflies were special. This story brings back beautiful memories. I love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this makes me want more ,more,more. I can picture you,Except the veil part..tee hee, I can see Dad and Mom and you and Jay standing in front of the manger, I see Dad, probably big eyeglasses and a funny smile... This story is amazing..It reminds me tho that I loved you before I knew you, I do not know so so so much about your LBK...Life Before Kona....No Pressure, But YOU could write a book !!! and I for one would cherish it...As I began this Blog, I thought,if only it was recoreded, I could her voice...Not Needed..the first word appeared and your voice was in my ear...Please Please share more....All My Love Kona Lychee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Unknown (MOM - we will get you fixed up! Hahaha), thank your for your precious comment. You inspire me. And thank you for the beautiful family we have. <3

    Kona Lychee, you are so sweet and exuberant! I love how you love me, you are one of my greatest cheerleaders in life! No worries sistah - more coming, and the books too - in Jesus name!

    Love you both so much.

    ReplyDelete